Skip to main content

What’s next for Committees on

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: Analytics, Continuous iteration, Focus on core work,

Screenshot of Committees homepage

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been looking at committee pages using Google Analytics data. We wanted to understand how users interacted with these pages. We also wanted to measure performance so we can make improvements.

As a first step, we outlined the goals and performance indicators of the pages. These include:

User behaviour

We used Analytics to find out which pages were viewed the most over the last financial year. Individual committee pages were the most viewed, specifically the Public Accounts Committee. However, committee pages only received 12% of the total pageviews of the website. Knowing this allows us to create a benchmark for the new pages. For example, we could set a goal of achieving a 10% increase in pageviews in the next quarter.

We found that only 11% of traffic came from social media, while 50% was from organic search (listings in search results, not adverts). This gave us another goal – to increase traffic from social media by 5% in a quarter.

We also found and fixed an issue with event tracking which was under reporting the number of evidence submissions.

By drilling into the data we found that 15% of the traffic to the evidence submissions page came from the committee homepage. 11% of users left the website after visiting the committee homepage. The remaining 89% mostly visited other committee pages. An 11% drop off rate is relatively low. It suggests that the committee homepage is serving its purpose well.

What users are searching for

Finally, we looked at what users searched for to arrive at a committee page. We found that search on the website wasn’t used often. When it was, the number of users who had to refine their search to find what they were looking for was relatively high so users can't quickly find what they're looking for.

Average search depth is the number of pages users visited after getting results for their search term. It was quite high for the search terms 'committees' and 'select committees' which suggests that users find a lot of value from these site searches.

We’ve now finished the discovery phase of this project. We’ll soon be moving on to the alpha stage where we’ll be digging further into the content on the Committee pages.

What do you think of the committees section? Let us know if the comments below. 

Sharing and comments

Share this page